Alien Registration Guidelines

A foreigner who meet the below conditions has to register with the jurisdictional immigration offices within 90 days from the date of entry:

• A foreigner who plans to stay for more than 90 days from the date of entry;

• A foreigner who has lost his / her Korean nationality upon the acquisition of foreign nationality;

• A foreigner who plans to stay for more than 90 days from the date on which his / her status was granted after being born in Korea. 

The following categories do not need to register at the jurisdictional immigration offices:

• Diplomats and foreign government officials and their family members, in accordance with the international agreements (A-1, A-2, and A-3);

• Foreigners who are engaged in important tasks such as diplomacy, industrial development, and national defense, along with their family members;

• Foreigners who are granted exemption by the Minister of Justice;

• Foreigners from Canada, planning to stay less than 6 months, who fall under the qualification of Korean Arts and Culture (D-1), Religious Worker (D-6), Family Visitor (F-1), Dependent Family (F-3), Miscellaneous (G-1).


Alien Registration Application

A foreigner must register at the Immigration Office that falls under the jurisdictional area of his/her residence. 

The timelines for applying for the Alien Registration are:

• For foreigners planning to stay more than 90 days: within 90 days from the date of entry;

• For foreigners who have requested a change of status of stay: immediately upon receiving permission to change the status. 

Every Alien Registration application must include:

• Passport;

• Application Form (no 34);

• One picture in color, 3.5X4.5 cm;

• KRW 30,000 (around USD 30) of fees;

• Additional documents depending on the type of visa*

*Please refer to Hikorea official website for details. 


Obligations of Registered Aliens

Once obtained the Alien Registration Card, a foreigner must:

• Bring passport and Alien Registration Card, at any time;

• Present his/her passport and the card upon request of an immigration officer or anyone of the same authority;

Foreigners who do not comply with the above regulations can be punished. 

Foreigners must communicate, submitting the passport and the change notification, within 14 days, any change in their alien registration information, in case of:

• Change of name, gender, date of birth, nationality;

• Change in passport number, expiry date, date of issuance;

• Change in affiliated organization or department of a foreigner with status of Korean Arts and Culture (D-1), Student (D-2), General Trainee (D-4), Long-term News Coverage (D-5), Religious Worker (D-6), Intra-Company Transferee (D-7), Corporate/Foreign Investor (D-8), International Trade (D-9).


Employment status holders:

Foreigners in possess of employment status can only work for the assigned jobs;

Eligible status for employment are: Short-term Employee (C-4), Professor (E-1), Foreign Language Instructor (E-2), Researcher (E-3), Technical Instructor/Technician (E-4), Professional (E-5), Arts/Athlete (E-6), Foreign National of Special Ability (E-7), Non-Professional (E-9), Maritime Crew (E-10), Resident (F-2), Overseas Korean (F-4), Permanent Resident (F-5), Marriage Migrant (F-6), Working Holiday (H-1), Work and Visit (H-2);

Working for an employer other than the ones stated on the visa application form, without receiving prior permission from or without reporting in advance to the Immigration Office is considered a violation of the terms and conditions of the visa;

For any change in employer, work location etc., the foreigner must check the procedures from the immigration office or the Immigration Contact Center (1345) and make a report or apply for permission.